Raven Aerostar is partnering with NASA and Future Engineers as a flight provider for the NASA TechRise Student Challenge. This competition will inspire a deeper understanding of Earth’s atmosphere, space exploration, coding, and electronics, as well as a broader understanding of the value of test data. The challenge will also provide students with opportunities to engage with Raven, NASA, and technology communities, as well as expose them to potential careers in science, technology, and space exploration fields.
Through different programs, customers — including NASA — approach Raven to fly their research equipment for many different reasons. This equipment, carried by the balloon, is called the “payload.” In the NASA TechRise Student Challenge, students are tasked with designing a payload for a NASA-supported balloon flight. Competing with designs from across the United States, the Challenge winners will have their creation launched into the stratosphere.
Let’s Solve Great Challenges together.
- All U.S. 6th – 12th grade students are eligible to participate (50 states, DC, U.S. territories).
- Selected contest winners will receive $1,500 to build their payload and an assigned spot on a NASA-sponsored commercial suborbital flight.
- Once awarded, students will have the opportunity to receive technology guidance and education support from professional engineers and industry experts as they are developing their payloads.
- Applications will be opening August 2021.
Leading up to the official competition, which opens in August, educators can hear from NASA experts and learn more about the opportunity through a series of virtual activities this summer.
- June 1, 2021 at 5:00 p.m. CT (6:00 p.m. ET/3:00 p.m. PT): NASA and Future Engineers will host a NASA TechRise Challenge virtual kick-off event for educators as part of the U.S. Department of Education’s 8th Annual ED Games Expo. The two-hour event will also be live streamed at nasa.gov/live.
In addition, teachers are invited to join a NASA TechRise educator summer workshop, which will dive into the basics of electronics, coding, and designing for flight:
- Wednesday, July 28, 2021
- Wednesday, August 11, 2021
Looking for More Information?
We are happy to help! Send a note to the Raven team by clicking the button below.