The City of Sioux Falls Launches Green Business Program
SOURCE: City of Sioux Falls
April 4, 2016 — The City of Sioux Falls has launched a Green Business Program. The Sioux Falls Green Business Program is a voluntary program that is designed to educate and encourage local businesses and organizations to promote sustainability and environmental initiatives. Today, the City celebrated the first ten businesses to become certified with a green ribbon cutting.
The program is divided into eight core categories:
- Mandatory General Standards: Complying with recycling ordinance requirements.
- Waste and Recycling: Decreasing the amount of waste a business generates.
- Environmentally Preferred Purchases: Using products that are environmentally friendly.
- Energy Conservation: Becoming more energy efficient.
- Water Conservation: Becoming more water efficient.
- Pollution Prevention: Properly disposing of hazardous materials and storm water runoff.
- Social Sustainability: Treating all employees and customers equally.
- Transportation: Using alternative transportation methods such as transit and bicycling.
“We are very excited about this program, as it helps us expand our audience base beyond residential for our sustainability initiatives. It will also provide one-on-one technical assistance to the business community in Sioux Falls to help them streamline efficiencies and decrease their environmental footprint. This program allows us to really recognize the businesses that are going the extra mile to make our community more sustainable,” says Jessica Lantgen, Sustainability Coordinator for the City of Sioux Falls.
A core group of DTSF members are stakeholders for the program and were the first businesses to complete the certification process. These businesses will help guide the program into the future and help organize training and events for the Green Business community. They are:
- Coffea Roasterie and Espresso Bar.
- Co-op Natural Foods.
- Koch Hazard.
- M. B. Haskett.
- Prairie Berry East Bank.
- Sioux Falls Design Center.
- The Bakery.
To find out more information or to become a Certified Green Business, visit siouxfalls.org/green or call Jessica Lantgen at 605-367-8187.
The post Raven Certified as Green Business by City of Sioux Falls appeared first on Raven Industries.